Tuesday, 3 April 2007

life in New Zealand


So I'm back home again. No longer a waiguo ren. I haven't taken many photos recently but here is a picture of the sky on a typical day in Auckland. Yes it's blue! Something I didn't often see when I was in Kaohsiung.
I've been busy applying for lots of EFL teaching jobs. Unfortunately EFL is not doing so well in New Zealand at the moment. I'm told this is due to the high New Zealand dollar. Most EFL students go to the U.K. or America to study English and less and less are coming to New Zealand. However a few schools in Auckland have offered to give me any relief teaching work they might have (that's subbing for my North American friends). Actually I would've had 2 weeks of relief teaching lined up this month if I hadn't already booked my trip to the South Island. Oh well, at least I'll be having fun catching up with old friends and maybe doing some tramping (that's kiwi for 'hiking') or skiing.

I did lots of Chinese things last weekend. A group of us went out for Yum Cha. Then I went to visit my Taiwanese friend's family, spoke lots of Chinese to his parents, and played Mah jong.

I'll be in Dunedin from April 17th to 26th. Before that I'll be in Wellington from April 13th to April 16th. And I'm going to Rotorua for Easter weekend. I'll be sure to post photos from those trips later.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I'll pray for your new job in NZ, may things will go well.

Still miss Taiwanese friends and food? Skype or email us sometimes, we can help you to maintain your Chinese. Cool?

Kyle