Friday, 23 March 2007

Next stop: Chiang Rai





I took a trip up to Chiang Rai intending to do a 3-day trek. I didn't find anyone else around who was going trekking so I could only afford to pay my guide for 1 day of trekking. My guide's name was Lou. He's from the Karen tribe and speaks 6 languages! He took me around to some of the local Lahu and Akkha villages and we walked to a few waterfalls and visited the hilltribe museum. The first village we went to had only been settled in Thailand for about 15 years, the people having come from Myanmar. The only electricity they had came from small solar panels. They were so poor they couldn't afford to send any of their kids to school.
At the end of the day Lou dropped me off at the Akkha hill house which is a guest house located in an Akkha village. From here I was able to trek around by myself. I was surprised to discover that just down the road there was a Chinese village and the older people living there spoke Mandarin. They'd come from Yunnan in Southern China and were growing Oolong tea. I went to visit their village and they invited me to stay for a meal. I really think Chinese people are the nicest and most hospitable people in the world. There was a guy there who'd just come over from Yunnan and was the same age as me. He showed me around the village and the local school.


The Chinese Village



The school

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola ,mi amigo ^_^

Nice to have known that u've arrived N.Z safe and sound .
I like these photos u put on the net and those words u shared with us .
Hope u enjoy new life in N.Z .

best
Tahai

taiwan xifu said...

i agree! chinese people are *definitely* the nicest, most hospitable people in the world! :)